Monday, April 11, 2011

how you say...?

     We're 15 days away from the move, and there's a lull in the craziness (for now) - I've decided to put my nose back to the Rosetta Stone.  We also dug out an Italian textbook from college.

     Useful epiphany from RS:  I caught on to the conjugation of colors in relation to objects - "automobile rossa" (red car - feminine), "uccello rosso" (red bird - masculine), "capelli rossi" (red hair - plural)
     Favorite new phrase learned from college textbook: "Come si dice...?" (How do you say...?)
     Language frustration of the day:  I cannot roll my R's.  Advice is welcome.  The male Rosetta Stone voice seems to know of and garner amusement from my frustration - he extends his perfectly rolled r's in "correndo" (run) way longer than one would deem necessary.

I walked to the post office today to pick up a change of address form, priding myself in forgoing the car to do an errand - how very European.  However, upon arrival at home, I promptly shut all the windows and cranked up the AC.  Intriguing as it is, attempting to put myself in the Italian mindset, I have 15 more days to be selectively European, and I plan to enjoy them.  Now where's the peanut butter?

4 comments:

  1. Erin- I'm sitting here trying to figure out how to explain how to roll the r's....
    Maybe try to practice purring. Yes, purr. Like a cat. Or frrrr-ing like a pigeon.

    Or try touching the top and bottom of your mouth with your tongue as quickly as you can, then start blowing out air at the same time. Haha! Funny thing to try and explain. Good luck!

    -Katie H. (BOS) (;

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm super excited you are blogging, now I can stalk you internationally!
    Good luck with your move.
    I'm green with envy.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indulge in as much peanut butter and A/C as you can before you leave!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm finally getting around to replying to blog comments...
    Katie - thanks so much! That advice is helpful. I've been practicing rolling my r's in the shower and car and other places that I'm alone. It's still bad, but I'm optimistic :)
    Jenny - As soon as I figure out how to "follow" your blog, I'll do that! Hopefully updating my blog and keeping up with others will become a regular part of my Italian day.

    ReplyDelete